Wednesday, April 15, 2009

You can call me anything you like, but...

I was thinking about the post I did a week ago, ...and her name was Veronica. It reminded me of the Elvis Costello song that Judson and I love. We didn't name her solely for this song (also for Veronica, the women who wiped the face of Jesus as he carried the cross).

When we talked about the name, I knew that Judson would want to keep it Veronica. I told Judson that many people may want to call her Roni. I asked him what he thought of this. He was certain she'd have the personality to keep with the spirit of the song: "You can call me anything you like, but my name is Veronica."

Many people had never heard of this song, so I played it for them from my phone in the hospital. Because I had it on the phone, I would play it when she became fussy and we were out and about. It never failed to calm her - after she heard the first 2 - 3 notes!! No other song did this for her.

We understand that this song was written by Elvis Costello about his grandmother who had Alzheimers. The tune of this song gets stuck in your head in a good way - very happy. The words remind us that a person is still themself to the core - not matter what life throws at them. This is what we want for Veronica. Coincidentally, the name Veronica means "true image."

Veronica
Written by Declan MacManus (AKA Elvis Costello),
Paul McCartney, and Cait O'Riordan
Is it all in that pretty little head of yours?
What goes on in that place in the dark?
Well I used to know a girl and I could have sworn
that her name was Veronica
Well she used to have a carefree mind of her own
and a delicate look in her eye
These days I'm afraid she's not even sure
if her name is Veronica
Chorus:
Do you suppose, that waiting hands on eyes,
Veronica has gone to hide?
and all the time she laughs at those who shout her name
and steal her clothes.
Veronica, Veronica, Veronica
Did the days drag by?
Did the favours wane?
Did he roam down the town all the while?
did you wake from your dream, with a wolf at the door,
reaching out for Veronica

Well it was all of sixty-five years ago

When the world was the street where she lived

And a young man sailed on a ship in the sea
With a picture of Veronica
On the "Empress of India"
And as she closed her eyes upon the world and
picked upon the bones of last weeks news
She spoke his name out loud again

Chorus:

Do you suppose, that waiting hands on eyes,
Veronica has gone to hide?
and all the time she laughs at those
who shout her name and steal her clothes.
Veronica, Veronica, Veronica

Veronica sits in her favorite chair

She sits very quiet and still
And they call her a name that they never get right
and if they don't then nobody else will

But she always had a carefree mind of her own

with a devilish look in her eye
saying you can call me anything you like
but my name is Veronica

Chorus:
Do you suppose, that waiting hands on eyes,
Veronica has gone to hide?
and all the time she laughs at those
who shout her name and steal her clothes.
Veronica, Veronica, Veronica

No comments: