I often marvel at how much nature has to do with the gender stereotypes I see in my kids. Had I even raised them a year apart, I would think that my own biases affected them. However, raising them side-by-side, doing the same things, I really don't think it has much to do with nurture.
Thomas is into cars, dirt, any sport that involves a ball...
Veronica has to take her baby everywhere, wash her, feed her, etc. She'd rather not walk in the mud.
Of course, being kids, and being buddies, they both do all these things. These are just what each seems to lean toward liking more.
Today we went to the YMCA. There were no tears and no clinging to me for the first time. They ran right into the room away from me. I had to call them back to take off their coats. When I returned to pick them up, Veronica was playing with about 10 matchbox cars and Thomas had two very blond Barbies. "I found the ladies, Mommy!"
No comments:
Post a Comment