We met Kay there for pizza and to listen to Frank Glover and Claude Sifferlen play some jazz. The musicians were so gracious - they were very amicable toward the kids when I took them up to see the instruments prior to the show.
Veronica seemed to panic when she saw Frank pick up his saxophone. She cried and wanted me to get her out of her high chair. I thought we were doomed as she did not like a pep band when we went to a basketball game. However, when he actually started playing, she was mesmerized and eventually asked to be put back in her chair so she could eat. She'd inform me before each song, "He's playing his saxophone again!"
Kay quizzed the kids on their day. I told her we'd gone to Gymnastics Unlimited again for the open gym time. Kay asked Thomas what his favorite part was. Without hesitation he answered, "those girls." I did notice he took quite an interest in a pair of 4 or 5 year-old twins. He ran everywhere they did. Jumped in every foam pit they did. Later, after Judson had joined us, she asked him to tell Judson what his favorite part was - same answer.
Thomas and Veronica were ecstatic to see Judson. He worked late most of the week, so the only time we saw him was on yesterday's picnic. Thomas cozied up to Kay for a good while but eventually needed his Daddy time. Veronica was Daddy's girl the entire night. I don't remember the last meal I ate without a kid hanging on me! Wow!
Once the kids got a little restless (which was after a long time - they paid great attention to the music), Kay pulled out some suckers and they listened a good while longer (until the sugar and past bed-time sillies kicked in).
Frank came over and talked to us between sets. He was great with the kids. He even took Thomas up to put money in the tip jar. (Not as strange as it sounds - we had already given him money before Frank arrived.)
Claude and Frank surprised us with "When You Wish Upon a Star." They were awfully good to the kids.
They even played a little checkers...
...until the aforementioned sugar and sillies kicked in. We finally carted them out in to the gorgeous evening air and let them run circles around us while we finished talking to Kay.On the way home Thomas insisted that he needed another sucker. I told him we'd have to wait until tomorrow. He protested for a while and then got very silent. The next thing I knew, his sock landed at the steering wheel on my hand.
No comments:
Post a Comment