Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sweeter than Honey

For the past few days, Thomas has been calling Veronica "Honey."

Let's go this way, Honey.
Do you want the Kitty, Honey?
Come on, Honey.
Let's do it together, Honey.
It's OK, Honey.

He says it in this ultra-sweet, high-pitched voice too. I hope I can get it on tape sometime. It's oh-so-sweet!

Veronica doesn't seem to respond to it directly (other than being pleasant in return to him). But she has been having (as Judson says) sudden outbursts of bliss. She is just so happy lately!

Thomas has been also needing a kiss and a hug - one can't come without the other. He will take your head in his hands to ensure that he gets one planted right on your lips! "I need a hug." "I need another kiss."

Veronica is trying to make sure everyone is taken care of. She has been trying to help change Thomas's diapers. She also makes sure I have a doll when they both do. Andy is Thomas's doll. Amy is Veronica's doll. Now there is also "Mommy's doll." I feel so important!

They've been singing a lot more lately. Wheels on the Bus (with motions!); Row, Row, Row Your Boat (while playing with boats in the tub tonight!); Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star (when they saw a star out tonight while we were swinging outside); Step In Time (the Mary Poppins fanatics!); Baa, Baa Black Sheep; and of course, The Alphabet Song. Tonight we even danced to Ella Fitzgerald's Old MacDonald (at least 5 times!).

And then, there is this connection the two of them are showing for Julianne and David. As I've mentioned, lately they've been asking not just to kiss "the babies," but actually asking to kiss Julianne and David. They can point to designate which baby is which. Now they are incorporating them into their everyday activities.

Yesterday we met Judson for lunch. Thomas climbed up on a chair to reach onto a shelf and get some cardboard coasters. We made sure while he was there he got one for Veronica, too. He ended up with a third, so he was able to carry two out. He was holding one in each hand when he said, "One for Julianne. One for David."

Today we opened a few Valentine cards we received in the mail. Veronica was carrying one around in a basket. I could hear her talking to herself as she was taking it in and out, "This is for
Julianne and David."

They take my breath away.

No comments: