Let me back up a little first. Yesterday, we tried for a low-key morning until I had to get my haircut. Judson was at work, so I dropped them off with him to take them to lunch. (We thought getting them out of the house a little may be necessary since they'd been cooped up all week.) After lunch, Judson took them home to nap. Apparently, this was not on their agenda (again). Veronica just didn't do it. Thomas was on the fringe of feeling better, so he didn't wipe out, but he wasn't happy to be awake. Judson got the all-too-infrequent-these-days pleasure of holding Thomas as he fell asleep. Veronica was cooperative and worked on her bag lady routine. (She piles as much as she can on top of her stroller. Then she unloads it carefully, only to reload it in the exact same configuration. Then she pushes it around the house and starts over.)
Judson told me to stay out after my haircut. (I think he's scared I may turn into some psychopath from being locked in the house all week with a sick kid and his sidekick.) I had a wonderful lunch with my friend Kay and then spent the afternoon painting pottery. My dad called while I was painting. They were heading back from the Jeffersonville wrestling sectionals (Red Devils are champs!) and offered to just keep driving north to get Judson and myself out of the house together! Oh joy! (What wonderful parents I have!)
Veronica had begged Judson to take her to Target. My kids have a grand fascination with the place (which makes shopping easier!). In fact, at an art show, they saw a large canvas with a bulls eye painted on it (larger than them!). Both were drawn to that piece. There interpretation: "Target." We decided the easiest course of action would be for all parties to meet at Target. Judson was there for a while first, shopping and trying to get them to eat. I found them in the gardening section. Both toddlers were out of the cart. I must say, my husband is my hero as this worked for him. I would never even try it as I am certain they would not cooperate like that for me. Nevertheless, it was a hoot to watch them explore the things on the shelves. They were really very good about it; pulling one thing off at a time, asking what it was, and then returning it to the proper place. (Respect and reverence for Target?) When we knew Mak and Pa were close we headed toward the front of the store. The dollar bins were mesmerizing to them. So much so, that Thomas ignored Mak and Pa when they came in and Veronica ran with a frightened face to Judson for comfort! Once they realized that meant they didn't need to leave Target and could play with their beloved grandparents, they were all squeals and giggles. (And so were Mommy and Daddy as they got to have a date!)
This morning we got ready for church. All was well until about half way through the service. Thomas needed a drink. Well, I've always only brought water to church. He desperately and inconsolably needed milk. Judson took him home while the rest of us made it through Mass. Veronica asked frequently about him. We found that he was missing her too.
Both kids seemed interested in trying the snow again. (I was excited that I could redeem the lack of snowman from the previous snow disaster.) However, yet again, Thomas (the poor, not completely well soul, I keep reminding myself) had a complete meltdown as we tried to get ready to go outside. Once outside, however, his mood was considerably lightened.
Thomas dove right in once he saw us building a snowman. He threw himself into the snow over and over, finding any and every way to fall in it he could. Veronica was not so sure she wanted to be in the snow, but was enjoying it from the sidewalk. Eventually, she wanted to get closer to "Frosty" and the fun took off even bigger!
Thomas enjoyed being pulled in the sled.
Veronica took some persuading, but decided she was interested in trying to ride on her belly... completely flat. She rode like that for quite a while!
After some snow fights in the alley. Veronica pulled the sled. "Let's go, Fwosty!" she said.
We settled down to some lasagna for lunch and what was the best nap they'd had all week.
After the nap, Veronica and Thomas played together super closely. Even holding hands through the house. They had some of the most give-and-take conversation I've ever heard between the two of them. I think they'd missed each other through Thomas's illness. It's so nice to see my favorite pair best friends back to their routines!
No comments:
Post a Comment