Sunday, February 22, 2009

Independence, Imagination, & Inspiration

We are having an explosion of imagination and independence lately!

INDEPENDENCE

"I do it." -commanded
"I did it!" - proclaimed

These are some dominant phrases in our home as of late. (And, of course - in stereo!)

Thomas finds it very important to climb into the car by himself - he can get himself all the way into the car seat. Once she has help into the car seat, Veronica likes to buckle herself in. (Fortunately she can't undo them!)

Veronica also finds it very important to dress herself. Usually, it's zipping up her coat - or even trying to put it on. Today I told them we needed to get dressed. I went out to get some clean clothes from the laundry basket. When I returned, this is what I found...





They are also wanting to take part in helping out with all the things we do. They have both been putting on "make-up." Veronica even told me she was shaving her beard the other day. They both helped me dust this week and tonight we made pancakes!

I went out with a friend earlier in the week. They were ready for their Daddy time and not at all sad to see me go. However, I did feel like I was a teenager who just got my license and they were my parents. They both repeatedly said, "Be careful in the car, Mommy" and reminded me to get my keys.

IMAGINATION

I just marvel at how their imaginations just pop out of nowhere! This week we spent some time outside chasing down Curious George and Tinker Bell. We finally found "Monkey George" up in a tree!

Since their new obsession with Mary Poppins, they've started dancing and singing regularly. They do it on their own - this morning I awoke to the sounds of "Step in Time" coming from their room. They have even started trying to dance TOGETHER (holding on to one another). We march many more places now - it even makes going to be fun. When we listen to the soundtrack, they can narrate the whole movie to the instrumental music. They light up from the moment they first see Mary Poppins in the clouds with the opening credits. They know all the characters names and sing and dance along. Thomas even seems to know the whole dance routine to "Step In Time." He does it throughout the house all day long. When Veronica hears an instrumental piece she doesn't really like on the soundtrack, she calls it "scary," hoping we will fast forward. I often discover Thomas talking to Michael and Jane (the kids in the movie) in his cups or a box. Their favorite parts are

"Dirty Bert" = Chim Chim-Cheree"

"Jump In the Picture" = anything when they are in the chalk drawing. Includes
Jolly Holiday and Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

"Step In Time" = That is actually what it is called.

"Medicine Go Down" = A Spoonful of Sugar

Pa had the good fortune of watching it with them this weekend. This picture is obviously before their favorite dancing songs started!

When seeing stars in the sky, they sing Twinkle Twinkle to them. They both love singing and doing the motions to the Wheels on the Bus. However, don't try to sing along (you'll be scolded) and don't request a song (they don't take requests).

This week they both started skipping. I think Thomas has been doing it for a month or so, but it was so well defined this week! I mentioned it to him and Veronica watched him for a moment and then joined in.

Veronica has been coloring eyes a lot.

They like to hear me make up stories and tell them when they have a book in front of them.

They are into Play-Doh. Veronica loves the press and likes to make snakes and spaghetti. She also likes to cut it with the plastic knives.

Thomas could probably do it for hours. He talks to himself while he creates with his hands. Yesterday he made a lot of "Frosties" (snowmen). After playing around for awhile, he labeled one creation an elephant...

We finished our weekend out by watching Thomas "skidoo" into several books. That's something Steve on Blue's Clues does. He jumps into pictures. Thomas would open a book; twist & sing; jump onto the pages; then run around the house looking for things that would be a part of that book. Veronica much more enjoyed me pretending she was a guitar. So imaginative!

INSPIRATION

It's inspiring to watch not only the way they help and care for each other, but also how they inspire each other to do, explore, and imagine more. They are learning and doing so fast. I wish I could slow it down to enjoy every angle of it. On the other hand, part of the fun is how fast they do it.

1 comment:

Flesworthy said...

Great photos! Aren't children's imaginations wonderful?