Saturday, February 14, 2009

My Funny Valentines


Above is our Valentine's Day card for 2009. The twins have had fun telling people about the chocolate on their faces. I didn't give them the chocolates in the boxes (I'll admit... I ate them! ) I smeared chocolate on their faces. Veronica thought it was an adventure, but Thomas wanted me to wipe it off. Didn't matter, however, because he put it right back on when he tried to drink the pudding. They really didn't eat much of it - most of it was used as finger paints. I've left the boxes out to play with all week. This morning, Veronica pointed to one that Thomas had apparently painted on. She was telling me that he had painted "Baby Jesus."

Today, my uber-wunderbar husband took the kiddos out again. They were quite excited 1) to spend time with Daddy, and 2) to go to Target. I got to leisurely do things in the quite of my own home. THE ULTIMATE VALENTINE'S GIFT! I watched some uninterrupted TV and water colored. When they returned for a nap, my friend Kay called to offer to watch the kids and send Judson and myself on a date. We felt guilty taking her up on it, but we also felt guilty turning down such a genuinely thoughtful gift. So, we went.

Kay showed up early with suckers.


Now, we don't usually have suckers around here. They've never had suckers. So, the first five or more minutes were spent getting to know the suckers. Most of it was dazed amazement...



After the initial shock, they both had their own directions to take the next step of investigation. Veronica just kept asking me what it was. Thomas understood from our descriptions that it had something to do with his mouth, so he would just press it against his closed mouth and tell us it was good. Finally I took Thomas's sucker to demonstrate. Veronica followed my lead...



A successful experiment! Well worth the time of experimentation!

Veronica, little Miss "What's This?", was even calling it a Lollipop a half hour later. Interesting as I believe we had only called it a sucker!

We left everyone in quite a happy mood and headed to Italian Gardens for a great Italian Dinner, with lots of side shows (collapsing ceiling, our food eaten at other people's tables, and the love/hate relationship the couple next to us had with the staff), and of course our favorite dessert - fried caramel apple ravioli al a mode. mmmmmm....

We returned to find Kay had a mild evening with these kids who would apparently do anything for her - waited patiently to turn on Mary Poppins , brushed their teeth, went to bed easily (was she next door? - just kidding). She had even explained to them how excited we were to go out together. She said Veronica told her that "Mommy miss us, Daddy miss us." I've never heard her use the word "miss!"

We were even able to visit with Kay for a while ourselves. We had a great conversation about the jazz musicians she knows. She was the chocolate coating on our day!

No comments: