Tuesday, October 6, 2009

End of an ERA (Ensured Rest Area)

Well, we knew they could do it - or at least that Thomas could. We found him in Veronica's pack-n-play several times on vacation this summer.

Yesterday we drove down to North Vernon to visit Mamak and Pa. Even after a morning of hard play with our twin friends and singing to the top of our lungs the last 45 minutes of the trip down, no naps were to be had. Sure, Veronica told us with a devilish grin that she was ready to go to sleep shortly after we got to Mamak's. Mamak was right, "Someone has alterior motives." They simply had not been in their pack-n-plays for a while (not even a week), so they wanted to play in them.

I went in there once to discover Thomas jumping on the bed next to the pack-n-plays; a second time to find Veronica in Thomas's pack-n-play with him. I decided I was tired, so I'd let them do whatever as long as I could lay down. Mamak went in later to find both of them outside of the pack-n-plays. "I'm stinky," Veronica informed her. Mamak asked Thomas if he was. "No," he replied and crawled back into his pack-n-play. Mamak took Veronica to the living room to change her diaper. Halfway into the change, Thomas ran out of the bedroom, "I'm done sleeping!"

Last night I looked in on them - so peaceful and innocent! Veronica hadn't moved a muscle from when we laid her down. Thomas, being too big for the pack-n-play anyway, was curled up in the width (shorter than the length!) of the pack-n-play.

This morning I heard them stirring and chattering nicely to one another, so I just enjoyed the conversation while I could keep my feet up a little longer. Then I heard two thuds followed by the pitter-patter of feet and whispering, "Mommy's sleeping. Let's not wake her up." They ran right past my door to find Mamak... and then they ran toward my room saying, "Let's wake up Mommy!" I was a nice morning not having to get out of bed, but still being able to snuggle with them.

Now, if we can keep them in their cribs a little longer...

No comments: