So, I finally broke down. I did it. I turned the car seats to the forward-facing position. Most of Thomas and Veronica's friends have been forward-facing for a year now. I just want to keep the kiddos as safe as possible. The law requires they stay rear-facing until they are a year old or 20 pounds in weight. Well, they both make sense to me - 20 pounds fills the car seat out better; a year of age gives more developmental/muscle stability... hmmm... mine were preemies and Veronica continued to waiver on either side of 20 pounds for a long time. Plus, it's stated that rear-facing is actually safer, so why not?
It was time to move Veronica's straps up though, she finally grew a little taller... So, I decided to bite the bullet as Thomas's long legs did not look quite comfortable. I didn't see it going over well to turn one around and not the other.
So, last night, the #1 Daddy-O and I changed the seats up. To our surprise, forward facing had different criteria for the harness height and they can now seat in either seat (it's been Thomas on driver side and Veronica on passenger side for a year as the harnesses were different). I found some extra safety in the tethers that strap to the back of the car. Not required, but recommended for increased safety. Who thought I wouldn't buy into that?
This morning, we went to try the new seats out. I got around them being "siwwy" because the seats were already silly!!!! They thought it was pretty cool.
It was much easier to strap them in, and they seemed to enjoy the ride more. We could see the same things at the same time (hard for me to not think they were still looking the opposite way - a two year habit); we could see each other; they could actually see what I do with the steering wheel; and they could see so much more without the seats reclined! Exciting stuff!
The only thing we'll likely miss is both of them asking to hold our hands while in the car seats - we can't reach them like that now.
We drove first to the Glendale library today for a Signing Times story time. It was well attended and Veronica and Thomas sat still through the whole thing and paid attention - another first! This particular library seems to have a puppet theme in the children's area. So, afterward, they all went to play with the puppets. There was a little cardboard theatre Thomas was particularly interested in. He sat behind it, armed with a puppet, and started yelling, "Puppet show! Time for puppet show!"
No comments:
Post a Comment