Monday, November 24, 2008

Buddy & Sissy

I miss the mornings of double cuddles - they are coming to be more and more rare. If they want to cuddle, they don't want to share Mommy, so it ends up being a battle. If they don't want to cuddle it's off and running to the first activity of the day - books, cars, or breakfast.

This morning, Thomas was the first to hop up and greet me. He also was concerned that "Sissy" join us. So, upon hearing her invitation from Thomas, Veronica stood up in her crib to be picked up. Before I even had them out of the room (carrying them both), Veronica was leaning over to Thomas, patting him on the shoulder and calling him "Buddy." We moved on to the couch where they both continued to cuddle with me AND each other! Patting each other, stoking the other's face, calling them loving names... Sissy, Buddy, Honey...

I didn't want it to end, so when Veronica started to get off my lap I bribed her... "Want to watch Signing Time with me?" They both said yes. Thomas cuddled up in the crook of my knee and requested a blanket. Veronica lay on top of my side. It was heavenly until Veronica's hunger took over. Alas, we had a great breakfast with a lot of sweet conversation and laughter.

We went on to Verizon to pick up Daddy's new phone. It was like a toy store or something -all those phones!! How is a toddler to control oneself with all those phones?!?!? We made it out of there and went on to the YMCA. To my surprise, they were actually excitedly talking about going there. (Usually there is distress). Thomas pointed out that I would "ex" and Veronica assured that I would come "back" as they continued to talk more specifically about which toys they would play with. The tone changed as we were approaching the door to the Y... Thomas insisted, "Hold you, Mommy." I picked him up and he began crying. Veronica walked right in to the child watch center. I tried a different approach today. (Instead of going in to play for 20 minutes to warm them up). I just dropped them off. When I returned, the caregivers told me he stopped crying just a minute after I left! I know what I'm doing next time.

Today they both asked at separate times to go see Daddy or spend time with him. I was so glad that Judson had already planned to spend the evening with them as I went to the Mother of Twins club. From the report, sounds like they actually made some friends at the Greenwood Mall play area - normally they are quite to themselves, may observe other kids, but petrified if a kid shows interest in them. So, this was a real treat to hear (and see from Daddy's perspective).

No comments: