Sunday, November 9, 2008

Happy Birthday, Angels.

Today, three years ago, we gave birth to our first set of twins... Julianne Jane and David Thomas. They were born living and we had many family around to hold them and share our joy in their few precious hours of life.



On their first birthday, I was pregnant with Veronica and Thomas and had already been in the hospital a couple months. I was not able leave the ward without the accompaniment of a nurse because of the IV medication I was on. Because I knew how busy the nurses were with other high-risk pregnant women, I rarely asked to leave. The nurses on 2 south that we came to know and care for were very generous with their resources when it came to Julianne and David's birthday. They were part of the hospitalization and birth of Julianne and David. They helped arrange to have a prayer service in chapel for us. They even arranged staffing that day so some could attend. As they knew it was important to me to light a candle on their birthday, they made special arrangements to light a candle as well.


On their second birthday, we were able to go to North Vernon and celebrate grave-side. We baked cupcakes and lit candles on them to sing "Happy Birthday." When we finished the song, the candles blew out "on their own." We are certain it was Julianne and David participating.


Well, today we wanted to continue the tradition of a "birthday party." I baked cupcakes before we headed down. November 9 is also my mom's birthday. This year Mom turned 60. We were able to spend this day celebrating with Mom and all her children (and extensions!). Veronica and Thomas had a wonderful time with "Denny, Dawn, Fad, and Pauda." This enabled Judson and I to spend leisurely time at the cemetery, talking, singing "Happy Birthday," and eating cupcakes. David seemed to blow his own candle out again this year. Julianne, however, was not able to get her candle blown out until we put it next to David's. We've always believed that they looked out for each other beginning in the womb.


Because family encourages us to celebrate our angels (what a wonderful family!) they also gave Judson and myself some time together on a date that evening.


It was a beautiful day loving our beautiful children.







Julianne & David's headstone with their birthday cupcakes aglow.







Our two lambs celebrating their birthday with The Lamb of God.

No comments: