Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Twas the Night before Christmas

December 24 - starting new family traditions. Not all the Strucks could get together on the 25th, so this year we are Christmas Eve-ing it!

Mom and Dad still had the kids from Monday. (I couldn't make it down yesterday as someone decided to include me in a tire-slashing rampage at the hospital). With one new tire, I headed down south hoping to get in on the festivities early. (Judson was coming later, after work).

My first stop was a visit to the cemetery to see Julianne and David's resting place. We put an engraving of two lambs (our littlest lambs) next to the Baby Jesus. Christmas is an interesting time - it's wonderful and lovely, but there will always be something - someones- missing. It's a bittersweet thing. I love to imagine them up in Heaven celebrating Jesus's birthday with Him. But, that still doesn't make me long to hold them any less. Today and decided to sing some carols. I love Christmas carols, but several hit me a little hard. They are reassuring, yet heart wrenching:

Silent Night

Sleep in Heavenly Peace. (I know that's what they do every day now.)



Away In a Manger

Be near me Lord Jesus
I ask Thee to stay
Close by me forever
And love me I pray.
Bless all the dear Children
In Thy tender care,
And take us to Heaven
To live with Thee there.


I arrived at Mom and Dad's house still unable to control my tears. Fortunately, my family is super-loving and they all made me feel as if it were a normal and proper thing to do.
By the time Judson arrived the party was in full swing! Veronica and Thomas had a ball! Danny, Dawn, Thad, Paula, Mamak, Pa - all in the same room!! And presents to boot! First gift opened was Mr. Potato head, compliments of Danny and Dawn. That was fun. Almost didn't need anything else. They played and played and played with it! The tension in the room grew though as you could tell the rivalry between uncles for a great holiday gift. Then, viola! Uncle T and Aunt P pulled out the amazing basketball goal! I think this game was tied!


A little lesson in money from Uncle T...


...the old coin-behind -your-ear trick!



Playing Superman with SuperDan!


No comments: