Sunday, June 27, 2010

Bible School, Blast-off, and Buzz Lightyear

We signed up for Vacation Bible School this year. They were too young to go at our church, but Robert's church, Irvington United Methodist Church, had a morning program AND we were able to be in the same class as Kasey and Robert. (I think the four of them made up the class with one other boy.)

Veronica was THRILLED to be going to school. She has been telling me about her school for months. She even said she has a teacher named Ellie. So, when she came home and I asked about school, she told me she had TWO teachers named Ellie. I thought about it and realized that her two youth helpers were Alisa and Ashley... Ellie and Ellie - a dream come true!

Thomas was not so sure about school, but was excited that they spent part of the first (rainy) day riding bikes in the basement. He enjoyed the sunny days on the playground, but was disappointed that they never went back to the bikes. He said he didn't want to go each day, but he never cried and he walked into the classroom before Veronica each day.

The theme was Galactic Blast. They used a lot of solar system and space craft projects. Thomas really enjoyed making his own spaceship. I mentioned one day to Veronica that there were some stars, like she was learning about in school. "No, Mommy," I was quickly corrected. "We are learning about Jesus."

I know they had a good time and were worn out, but I couldn't get them to nap. Except the first day, when Thomas fell asleep about 5pm while coloring. I was making dinner and Veronica alerted me to it, "Mommy, he's not coloring with me anymore!"

They seemed to be picking up on the songs as I heard them singing various, yet consistent, melodies about blasting off and A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. So, we decided to attend the Sunday Service so they could sing the songs with the other kids. When it was time for the program, they both wanted to go up but were too shy. Judson walked them up and they insisted on him staying. What a trooper! He was the only adult up there (besides the teacher).


And a close-up.
Veronica went between hanging on Daddy and turning around to watch the other kids. Thomas had his ears plugged and eyes closed most of the time. They didn't want to leave though. They even stayed through the children's liturgy.
That Friday, Judson took a day off work so he could drop them off at school and pick them up. We had a surprise waiting for them in the car that last day for doing such a good job at school. Jessie, Woody's friend from Toy Story, was sitting in Veronica's seat. Wolverine was in Thomas's and they each had a Bullseye doll. We were hoping that Jessie would give Veronica an in to play Toy Story with Thomas and his Woody and Buzz dolls.
They both fell in love with Jessie. She had a pull-string, just like Woody. She yodels and says Yee-haw! Veronica sang and sang, "I'm a cowboy girl, I'm a cowboy girl." It was so sweet we didn't want to tell her there was an actual word, cowgirl. Thomas played with Jessie too for awhile as we drove to Franklin for a special day off with Daddy to celebrate their "graduation." Veronica continued her song until she heard Thomas make Jessie talk, "I'm a cowgirl!" Veronica then adopted the word for herself.
In Franklin, we ate at Pizza King Station where the model train brought our drinks. We topped it off with some Ritter's Custard and went home to play Toy Story. Veronica and Thomas ran through the yard with Woody and Jessie on their backs.
(picture to come - it was destroyed)
On Sunday, after the VBS program, we took Woody and Jessie along for the twins' first official movie theater experience.... Toy Story 3! Veronica was excited, and a little fidgety, but truly enjoyed it. Thomas was enthralled. He barely moved. When Veronica tried to offer him a fruit snack or sucker, he pushed it away, never taking his eyes off the screen. Judson and I, we laughed... and cried. There were scary parts that didn't seem to bother the kids. The only scared reaction we got was after the movie ended - when the reel made a popping noise at the end of the filmstrip. Thomas cried. Who knew a movie could wear you out so? They both fell asleep on the way home.

No comments: