I did it. I know it seems like something that shouldn't be something, but it is.
I fed my kids Rice Krispies...
I've always had to turn off infomercials about starving children and abused dogs, but four years ago I started turning off Rice Krispie commercials. Once I lost the ability to hold Julianne and David in my womb or in my arms, the new slew of commercials hit the air. IZ's version of "Somewhere over the Rainbow" playing while a mom and child talk about what their Rice Krispies are saying to them. TOO MUCH TO HANDLE. Those simple, beautiful moments - daily things - that I'll never be able to share with Julianne and David. And the song... really? Can't handle that version anymore either. Too beautiful. Birds fly over the rainbow... why, oh why can't I?
Since that time, I've also avoided eye contact with Snap, Crackle & Pop in the cereal aisle.
This week, I bit the bullet. I bought AND fed Rice Krispies to Thomas and Veronica. We had fun listening to them and giggling over the sound. It was enjoyable despite the little echo that's always missing. Then again, maybe it's why I've been so tired this week.
Snap. Crackle. Pop. I heard them all, but didn't do any of them. One step for cereal mascots, a giant leap for a grieving mother.
1 comment:
Very beautiful post, well written and lots of insight to how it must feel for you even with the everyday things to have felt your loss. I can't even begin to imagine. Those commercials make me cry to... Thanks for sharing with everyone and I'm glad T & V got to have some rice krispies, hope they enjoyed.
Post a Comment