Friday, September 21, 2012

DJ Groovy God and the Fresh Prince Jesus Christ

Turns out, I had an unexpected day off. Unfortunately, as most of my days off go, that’s when my body allows itself to be ill. This morning, I helped Judson see the kids off to school and then crawled back into bed. I set the alarm for 8:15 so I could see how I felt. See if I could rally to go to the all-school Mass. Alarm came. I hit snooze. I wasn’t feeling it, but I felt too guilty to turn it off.

The snooze alarm came on with the radio saying, “You will be amazed what God can do for you.” Then silence. So, yes. I listened. I went. I watched my babies participate in the Mass, side by side. I stayed hidden until the sign of peace, when I marched forwarded and shared it with them.

I am continually amazed at what God can do for me. And this is NOT the first time he’s woken me up with a personal message from the radio. That’s a whole other story. What the heck, I’ll share it here.

In the fall of 1997, I had just graduated from Marian College. I didn’t know what I was going to do with myself, so I accepted an amazing internship with NASA in Moffett Field, CA. When the internship was over, I had no plans, so a friend I made there, Andrea, and I decided to take part-time counselor positions with Space Camp. It was a good gig. We worked a few weeks and had a few weeks off. Free room and board, living with other young adults. Andrea and I got to be roomies and explore the area more in our time off. Andrea had just received her Master’s in planetary geology. So, she knew what she could do, but just had to take the time to find a job. That allowed us the time at Space Camp. We went to concerts, met astronauts. My Aunt Peggy came and toured Yosemite (where we got up close and personal with a bear). My friend, Becky, was living out there at the time and we got to spend some great times together.

In September, my grandmother was dying of emphysema. I found my way home. I went one night to Purdue to visit some friends before heading back to Columbus to visit my grandmother again one night. On the way to Columbus, I was VERY tired. Jet lagged, up too late, worried about Grandma. I think I was drifting off at the wheel when I heard, loud and clear, “Christen Struck” (that’s my maiden name). I jerked to attention. I was certain this was my guardian angel waking me up. Then, the angel (it was a male) went on, “1997 graduate of Marian College.” Then, you hear Mission Control counting backward from “T minus 10…” Next, a female’s voice (not mine, mind you), said, “I’ve always been a dreamer… (blah, blah, blah, a lot of inspiring stuff that were not my words).” I’m not sure when I realized this was the radio.

Here’s where I can back up. I was accepted into the NASA Ames Astrobiology Academy. One of eleven. My state science consortium was supposed to sponsor half of my experience, Lockheed-Martin, the other half. The IN Science Consortium had already agreed to sponsor another Hoosier at the Dryden Academy. I was not supposed to come up with the money personally, but they agreed that if I could find another sponsor I could go. Marian agreed to pay for my travel in exchange for a photo shoot for a print ad. I guess the release form I signed included radio ads. Let me tell you, that was a heck of a way to find out it included audio ads. I could barely walk when I got out of the car because I was shaking so badly.

The more I think back, this experience most likely occurred 15 years ago today. Something that brings this even more full-circle is Endeavor is taking it's final victory lap today as it heads to it's retirement home.

Thanks for making me hear you loud and clear God. That’s what I need most often, is a wake-up call. And, I’m glad you have a sense of humor!

marian nasa

No comments: