The kids have been excited for weeks about the start of school, each day asking how long until the first day. They’ve missed their friends and probably the routine. They know their new teachers and seem happy about that as well.
Veronica was too excited to sleep last night. At one point, I heard hear cry out in a very pathetic tone, “Thooooom-MAS! I can’t sleep. Will you help me?”
They both woke it great spirits. Thomas admitted a little anxiety:
T: I’m a little nervous about a new school.
V: It’s OK, Thomas. Do you know who will be with you? It’s your favorite…
T: David.
V: Right! And guess who else…
T: Julianne.
V: And one more…
T: Jesus.
V: Jesus is always with you!
After that, they got ready without a hitch – no reminders needed to stay on task, no meltdowns, only smiles.
Veronica decided we needed to drive the three blocks (not a bad idea since we had to haul all their classroom supplies). We passed our friends walking on the way. Their toddler had fallen and busted her lip. As we walked in the school, V&T were still concerned. Veronica said, “I think I’ll tell our teacher what happened so she will know what is taking Kasey so long.” Thomas said, “I’m sad that Cecilia got hurt. We should pray for her.” And we did. We stopped and said a prayer in the doorway of the school.
In the classroom, there was no clinging to me (a little sad on my part). Thomas hugged me and said, “This is going to be the best new day ever!”
They both agreed it was a wonderful day. Mrs. Fleak said Veronica told her she loved her. This is a big feat as she is usually too shy to talk much at school!
We walked to McDonald’s after school for some ice cream where they told me about their days.
No comments:
Post a Comment