This spring we finally got rid of the toddler beds. The kids share such a tiny room we weren’t sure how to configure it with two beds. Thomas had long outgrown the crib mattress, however.
In hopes to keep them in the same room – and keep the larger room for the playroom – we got a loft. We put a second mattress under it on the floor in a trundle frame. The weeks leading up to the loft were full of fun anticipation. Thomas did NOT want to sleep on the top bunk. Veronica did. This did not stop Thomas from using things to his advantage. Whenever things were not quite going to his liking, he’d tell Veronica, “I won’t let you sleep on the top bunk…” She’d immediately relinquish power to him.
When the loft was installed, they picked out their own sheets. Thomas the Train and Transformers for Thomas, Dora and Butterflies for Veronica. Veronica slept well on the top for a couple weeks. Then, she got sick. She wanted to sleep on the bottom. Thomas wasn’t going up, so we padded the hardwood floor for her and she snuggled up. Once she recovered, she then started having attacks of fear at being on the top bunk. So, MONTHS have gone by with Veronica sleeping on the hardwood floor. Sometimes she’d have a quilt under her, but often she drifted off of it.
I wasn’t about to force one of them to sleep on the top. How do you choose? Who do you “punish” by making them scared all night? Nevertheless, my daughter sleeping on a cold, hard floor was wearing at my conscience as well. Today, I’d had enough! I moved around some carpets and furniture to make it work. In the process, Thomas had told Judson he wanted to sleep on the top bunk. The room needed a rug anyway, so I kept at it.
Tonight, Thomas climbed up proudly onto the top bunk. Veronica cozied up to the “arrangement” she’d made on the bottom bunk of books and stuffed animals. It seemed it was smooth sailing, until lights out… Veronica was devastated that she could not see Thomas. (The loft sits quite high). She tried laying on the floor, but she could still not see him. She asked him to come down near her, he didn’t want to. After listening to Veronica’s angst, I asked Thomas if he would sing to her so she could hear his voice. He happily offered 5 songs. When the songs were over, Veronica was back out sobbing that she couldn’t see him and she needed to know he was there. I told her to go back and ask Thomas if he would snuggle with her for just a little bit. I warned her it was his right to say no. Within five minutes we never heard another peep. We went in to see what the resolution: Two sweet, loving soul mates, BOTH on the floor.
No comments:
Post a Comment